← Revision 31 as of 2011-08-26 04:10:18
converted to 1.6 markup
Revision 32 as of 2014-01-02 00:03:28
fixed link text for cookbook, changed triple square brackets to double square brackets to match Moin Wiki Syntax
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 45:||Line 45:|
* [[http://www.netsplit.com/2008/04/12/upstart-05-job-lifecycle/|Job lifecycle]]
* [[http://www.netsplit.com/2008/04/16/upstart-05-job-environment/|Job environment]]
* [[http://www.netsplit.com/2008/04/19/upstart-05-job-lifetime/|Job lifetime]]
|Line 53:||Line 53:|
|* [[[http://www.netsplit.com/2007/12/07/how-to-and-why-supervise-forking-processes/|How|to (and why) supervise forking processes]]]||* [[http://www.netsplit.com/2007/12/07/how-to-and-why-supervise-forking-processes/|How to (and why) supervise forking processes]]|
|Line 57:||Line 57:|
|* [[[http://upstart.ubuntu.com/cookbook/|The|Upstart Cookbook]]] also has a large amount of up to date information on Upstart.||* [[http://upstart.ubuntu.com/cookbook/|The Upstart Cookbook]] also has a large amount of up to date information on Upstart.|
|Line 60:||Line 60:|
* [[[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReplacementInitDiscussion|UDS|Paris discussion spec]]]
* [[[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReplacementInit|Ubuntu|Edgy Eft spec]]]
* [[[http://www.netsplit.com/2006/08/26/upstart-in-universe/|Upstart|in Universe blog post]]]
* [[[http://www.netsplit.com/2006/09/01/upstart-can-now-replace-sysvinit/|Upstart|can now replace sysvinit blog post]]]
* [[[http://www.netsplit.com/blog/articles/2006/12/14/upstart-0-3|Upstart|0.3 blog post]]]
* [[http://upstart.ubuntu.com/misc/upstart.pdf|Original specification]]
* [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReplacementInitDiscussion|UDS|Paris discussion spec]]
* [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReplacementInit|Ubuntu|Edgy Eft spec]]
* [[http://www.netsplit.com/2006/08/26/upstart-in-universe/|Upstart in Universe blog post]]
* [[http://www.netsplit.com/2006/09/01/upstart-can-now-replace-sysvinit/|Upstart can now replace sysvinit blog post]]
* [[http://www.netsplit.com/blog/articles/2006/12/14/upstart-0-3|Upstart 0.3 blog post]]
Welcome to the upstart wiki, this wiki is intended as a resource for the upstart developer and user community collecting both specifications and user-contributed documentation.
Note that this wiki is not currently being maintained. For the time being, please consider looking at the Upstart Cookbook instead:
Upstart on Other Distributions
Man Pages Have Up-to-date Documentation
If you have Upstart installed in your distro, check man 5 init for detailed info on init daemon job configuration file, stanzas and environment variables that are available. An overview of all of the available manual pages on Upstart can be found with man upstart
Plans may be useless, but planning can be very useful indeed. Any major changes to upstart first need to be written down in the form of a specification, and discussed until a consensus or decision is reached. This process allows us to get all our thoughts in order and figure out any problems before we actually implement them.
This wiki also collects user-contributed documentation for upstart. Feel free to create a page, and ensure that it's linked to CategoryDoc for it to appear in the list below.
Upstart 0.5 blog series
At the time of writing, the best introduction to upstart is from the blog series on version 0.5, which saw a significant rewrite.
See also this earlier post for details on process supervision
The Upstart Cookbook
The Upstart Cookbook also has a large amount of up to date information on Upstart.